Homes & History of Wilson Point, Norwalk, Ct.
Wilson Point is tucked between the quaint fishing village of Rowayton and the historic district of South Norwalk, if you were not looking for it you would miss the entrance just off of Route 136 (Wilson Avenue). As you enter Wilson Point past the guardhouse on Shagbark Road you enter a piece of history with narrow winding streets running among hills, woods, beaches and the rocky coast. Made up of just over 80 homes on 150 acres, Wilson Point boundary to the north runs along Wilson Avenue and from there juts out southward into Long Island Sound with Wilson Cove to the west and Village Creek inlet to the east.
The homes are a wide range of styles from farmhouse to large Tudor and a few contemporary. With the majority of lots over one acre and up to three acres plus. Prices tend to start at over one million and range up to five million and more. Many homes have direct water front access while others are higher up creating spectacular views of Long Island Sound and the Norwalk Islands. Many of the original homes are still standing with renovations and additions done but the original character still intact. The original homes had nicknames such as The Nob, South Wind, Gatehouse, High Hedges, Stone House and Naramoke Farm which are still used today by some of the residents.
Currently there are 12 homes for sale in Wilson Point, listing prices range from $939,000 up to $6,495,000 with square feet range of 3,200 to 7,973 and property size of 0.71 acres to 2.896 acres. There are also 5 homes for rent running from $8,500 to $15,000 per month plus expensive.
The Wilson Point community organizes neighborhood get togethers, tennis tournaments and parties throughout the year. There is also a Beach Clubhouse for only the residents of Wilson Point to join, with beach amenities, kayak storage and changing room. The Wilson Point Property Owners Association (WPPOA) oversees repairs of street signs, road plowing, and preserves the area’s natural splendor through clean ups and regular maintenance.
Wilson Point is also the home to the Norwalk Yacht Club. The Norwalk Yacht Club was founded in 1894 and was on the eastern side of Wilson Cove (Bluff Avenue) but as it grew the club needed more space. In the early 1960’s property on Wilson Point became available and new club house was built in 1964. This spot was originally developed in the 1880’s by the Housatonic Railroad Company and was used as a freight and ferry terminal.
A History Time Line of Wilson Point, Norwalk, Ct.
In 1640 Daniel Patrick, an English soldier purchase the point from local Indians. By 1685 Norwalk was declared a township of which Wilson Point was a part of, John Belden acquired the point and it was known as Belden’s Neck. Belden’s Neck remained in the family till the 1800’s.
Lewis O. Wilson a well to do textile business man from NYC married Harriet Belden in 1825 and became part owner of Belden’s Neck. By 1837 Wilson would own all 240 acres of Belden’s Neck and then became known as Wilson’s Point. Wilson in 1856 gave a portion of the northern point property to his son Oliver to be divided equally among him and his four brothers.
Fortunes were made and lost during these times and by 1879 Wilson remaining property was foreclosed on and sold to Lunette Burchard.
In 1882 by right of eminent domain the railroad obtained the land lying along the Cove. The Housatonic Railroad Company used the location as a freight and ferry terminal. This was later taken over by the New Haven line in the early 1890’s and was operated until a fire destroyed the complex in 1899. During World War I the US Emergency Fleet Corporation used the location as a naval storage base. Even though not used the Railroad still had a right of way along the old railroad spur until 1980. After a two year wait the association was able to purchase the land for $4,000.
The Wilson Point Land Company was formed in 1920 and purchased 154 acres of the point from the estate of Lunette Burchard. The land company mapped out 64 parcels and by 1922 had nineteen lots sold with many of them under construction.
By the end of 1929, 80% of the Land Company’s holdings have been sold and some 30 families had homes on the point, the Wilson Point Property Owner’s Association (WPPOA) was incorporated.
Reference: A Point in Time, Wilson Point A History. By Wilson Point, Conn.: The Association, 1987
For help with these properties and/or others in Fairfield County contact David Popoff at William Raveis Real Estate in Darien, Connecticut.
David Popoff is a license Realtor in Connecticut with William Raveis office in Darien. David grew up in Rowayton and is a life time resident of Fairfield County. He has worked throughout lower Fairfield County and now resides in Darien, Ct since 2004.
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtor’s, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtor’s, NAR.
- Is a LEED Green Associate (LEED GA) by the United States Green Build Council (USGBC) and member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and Associate member of the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct. .
- Contact David Popoff for all your real estate needs in Darien, New Canaan, Rowayton and other parts of Connecticut.